Essences are spheres of color that can be collected in various levels and used in Alchemy with Stones to make Materials. Essences come in 9 colors: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple, Black, White and Pink.
Every material has a different combination that requires one essence and one stone. To figure out the respective combination for a certain material, select it within any inventory. Under the material's name, the combination to make it is represented as two icons - the leftmost icon indicates the essence required and the icon to the right of it indicates the stone required.
Essences and stones will never appear in chests. Rather, they are commonly found as item drops from enemies. If the player leaves a level without entering the treasure portal, then proceeds to the hub world, any gems collected by the player will break, yielding essences and stones.
In previous versions of Magicmaker, the game had described each individual essence as shown below:
- Essence of Red: The very essence of the color red, inspiring fervor and heat. Red materials tend to change the way a spell deals damage.
- Essence of Orange: The very essence of the color orange, reminding you of a setting sun. Orange materials tend to affect the health and mana of the user.
- Essence of Yellow: The very essence of the color yellow, which makes you feel a bit cheerful. Yellow materials tend to affect a spell's movement.
- Essence of Green: The very essence of the color green, a very natural color. Green materials tend to cause spells to hit many targets very quickly.
- Essence of Blue: The very essence of the color blue, evoking peaceful feelings. Blue materials tend to affect the movement of the user or enemies.
- Essence of Purple: The very essence of the color purple, a strange color indeed. Purple materials tend to provide additional damaging effects.
- Essence of Black: The very essence of darkness. Black materials tend to provide utiltiy effects designed to aid combat spells.
- Essence of White: The very essence of light. White materials tend to provide useful utility effects for adventurers.
- The Essence of Pink has no description since it was added after the descriptions became unviewable.